The Math Forum

Replies: 12   Last Post: Mar 14, 2002 11:56 PM

Michael S. Mahoney

Re: [HM] Simplicius question

It is Simplicius' _Commentary on Aristotle's Physics_ A 2 (185a 14), ed.
Diels 60.22-68.32. The Greek text and an English translation can be found
in Ivor Thomas, _Selections Illustrating the History of Greek Mathematics_
(Loeb Classical Library), vol. I, 234-253.

msm

Emily M Holt wrote:

> I am a senior undergraduate doing an honors thesis on the quadrature
> of lunes of Hippocrates of Chios. For part of my thesis, I am looking
> at the original Greek text. I have the 1882 Diels edition of
> Simplicius's commentary on Aristotle, which contains the passage about
> the lunes, but as this book has no index or table of contents, I cannot
> locate the passage. I have consulted Heath's History of Greek
> Mathematics, but he does not give the chapters of Simplicius in which
> the lunes are contained. Does anyone know the chapters of Simplicius
> that contain this passage?

-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o
Michael S. Mahoney Department of History Princeton University
mike@princeton.edu 303 Dickinson Hall Princeton, NJ 08544
phone 609-258-4157 fax 609-258-5326
WWW Home Page http://www.princeton.edu/~mike
-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o