The Math Forum

Replies: 8   Last Post: Aug 23, 2004 6:25 AM

GARCIADIEGO DANTAN ALEJANDRO

Re: [HM] Galileo

Dear Reuben,
Although Galileo discusses the possibility of this one-to-one
correspondence (he does not uses these terms) between the natural and the
square (not even) numbers, he does it to deny the possibility of comparing
between infinite sets (not the term). This is precisely the opposite to
Cantor, but Galileo is still following an Aristotelian tradition in this
issue. See Galileo's Two New Sciences (Drake's translation. Madison:
University of Wisconsin Press. 1974. Pages 40-41).
Warmest wishes,
Alejandro

--
Personal address/Direccion personal