Replies: 1   Last Post: Jan 30, 2001 1:08 AM

Ladnor Geissinger

From: University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
Registered: 12/4/04
[math-learn] Re: Factoring in Algebra 1

Allow me to play the devil's advocate for a bit. I think it is useless and
a waste of time to teach any factoring other than x^n -y^n =
(x-y)*(x^[n-1]+...+y^[n-1]). That gives us geometric sums and many other
things. I am a great fan of the difference of squares case, from which we
immediately get completing the square (CTS). Since CTS is so much more
useful than the quadratic formula (QF), I see no reason to have everyone
learn the QF. If these ideas were followed in middle/high school, how much
time would be saved? How many fewer students would think math is useless
and difficult and not something they want to have anything to do with in
their future (and so their carreer options are considerably narrowed)?

--
Ladnor Geissinger
Math Dept, CB 3250 Phillips Hall

eGroups is now Yahoo! Groups