Topic: RE: [math-learn] - new question for discussion
Replies: 1   Last Post: Jan 30, 2001 7:54 PM

Mike Kenyon

RE: [math-learn] - new question for discussion

I'm not so sure that our order of operations really is "non-universal."
Certainly we've agreed on conventions, but I tend to think those conventions
are more necessary than arbitrary. My favorite example is an expression
like 2+6*5. If I see that as representing two one-dollar bills and six
five-dollar bills, then to determine how much money I have, I have no choice
but to multiply first and then add -- otherwise, I'd effectively be
converting my ones into fives. (Not that I would mind doing that, come to
think of it!) It's for this sort of reason that I think our order of
operations conventions are really the only ones we could have arrived at.

On the other hand, it may be possible that we're only willing to write
expressions like the above because we've adopted the conventions we have.
If we'd adopted others, maybe we just wouldn't write expressions like I have
above (or they'd be interpreted differently). So I don't necessarily
disagree with Ron either. Maybe someday E.T. will come down and we can ask
about the order of operations elsewhere! :-)

Mike Kenyon
Yakima Valley Community College
Grandview, Wash.

eGroups is now Yahoo! Groups