Replies: 18   Last Post: Feb 6, 2001 9:40 AM

Rick Hughes

[math-learn] CALCULATOR USAGE

TO THE LIST,
I JUST CAME FROM A DEPARTMENT MEETING AND CALCULATOR DISCUSSION CAME UP AS
IN "MY ALGEBRA I STUDENTS AND ALGEBRA II STUDENTS DON'T USE CALCULATORS.

WHAT IS THE GENERAL FEELING FOR THE USE OF CALCULATORS IN THE CLASSROOM?
----------
>From: "Mark Raymond O'Brien" <mark@otrnet.com.au>
>To: <math-learn@yahoogroups.com>
>Subject: [math-learn] Teaching methodology
>Date: Mon, Jan 29, 2001, 10:49 PM
>

>What a great input from Michael, its great to be reminded that there are
>teachers of mathematics (across the world) who are prepared to use as many
>different methodologies as possible to improve students learning. I know
>from talking to other teachers and reading these groups that a lot of us
>believe in the principles of constructivist theory but do not see it as the
>only solution to teaching.
>
>What is important is that we continue to reinforce the fact that many maths
>educators no longer believe that the "review/lecture/seatwork/homework"
>method of teaching mathematics is the only way to teach the subject.
>
>Our willingness to vary styles and change from the past is what will keep
>today's students interested and hopefully get a precious few of them
>believing that they to, would like to be involved in teaching mathematics!
>

>Mark R O'Brien
>markrobrien@otrnet.com.au

eGroups is now Yahoo! Groups
Click here for more details