Replies: 196   Last Post: Nov 30, 2003 11:34 PM

me@talmanl1.mscd.edu

Re: [math-learn] Inquiry vs formal teaching methods

From: "Paul A. Tanner III" <uprho@yahoo.com>

> I've encountered more than one such class where the
> teacher, in the name of a pedagogical philosophy (as
> in discovery/constructivism), decides to never fill in
> such gaps in the second context and sometimes - as in
> many times - in the first context, believe it or not.
> I've hated being in such classes, and so I have
> refrained from doing with my students what I hated
> being on the receiving end of as a student. Treating
> my students the way I wanted to be treated as a
> student, by the way, is a driving force in my personal
> decisions about pedagogy.

Consider the following similar argument: I've encountered more than one
class in which the instructor assigned homework. I've hated being in such
classes, and so I have refrained from doing with my students what I hated
being on the receiving end of as a student. Treating my students the way
I wanted to be treated as a student is a driving force in my personal
decisions about pedagogy.

Compare and contrast your argument with mine. Explain why this latter
argument is unacceptable if your argument is acceptable.

--Lou Talman
Metropolitan State College of Denver

http://clem.mscd.edu/~talmanl

Date Subject Author
11/1/03
Read [math-learn] Inquiry vs formal teaching methods
John Clement
11/1/03
Read Re: [math-learn] Inquiry vs formal teaching methods
Wayne Bishop
11/1/03
Read RE: [math-learn] Inquiry vs formal teaching methods
John Clement
11/2/03
Read RE: [math-learn] Inquiry vs formal teaching methods
Wayne Bishop
11/2/03
Read RE: [math-learn] Inquiry vs formal teaching methods
John Clement
11/2/03
Read RE: [math-learn] Inquiry vs formal teaching methods
Paul A. Tanner III
11/2/03
Read RE: [math-learn] Inquiry vs formal teaching methods
John Clement
11/3/03
Read Re: [math-learn] Inquiry vs formal teaching methods
Rex Boggs
11/3/03
Read Re: [math-learn] Inquiry vs formal teaching methods
Wayne Bishop
11/3/03
Read Re: [math-learn] Inquiry vs formal teaching methods
Dewey Dykstra, Jr.
11/3/03
Read RE: [math-learn] Inquiry vs formal teaching methods
John Clement
11/2/03
Read RE: [math-learn] Inquiry vs formal teaching methods
John Clement
11/2/03
Read RE: [math-learn] Inquiry vs formal teaching methods
John Clement
11/4/03
Read RE: [math-learn] Inquiry vs formal teaching methods
Paul A. Tanner III
11/4/03
Read RE: [math-learn] Inquiry vs formal teaching methods
John Clement
11/4/03
Read RE: [math-learn] Inquiry vs formal teaching methods
Paul A. Tanner III
11/5/03
Read RE: [math-learn] Inquiry vs formal teaching methods
John Clement
11/5/03
Read RE: [math-learn] Inquiry vs formal teaching methods
Paul A. Tanner III
11/5/03
Read RE: [math-learn] Inquiry vs formal teaching methods
John Clement
11/5/03
Read RE: [math-learn] Inquiry vs formal teaching methods
Paul A. Tanner III
11/6/03
Read [math-learn] Teaching circumference and area of a circle
Rex Boggs
11/6/03
Read Re: [math-learn] Teaching circumference and area of a circle
Ed Wall
11/7/03
[...]
11/8/03
Read RE: [math-learn] Inquiry vs formal teaching methods
John Clement
11/8/03
Read RE: [math-learn] Inquiry vs formal teaching methods
Paul A. Tanner III
11/5/03
Read RE: [math-learn] Inquiry vs formal teaching methods
Dewey Dykstra, Jr.
11/3/03
Read RE: [math-learn] Inquiry vs formal teaching methods
Dewey Dykstra, Jr.
11/3/03
Read Re: [math-learn] Inquiry vs formal teaching methods
Ron Ferguson
11/8/03
Read RE: [math-learn] Inquiry vs formal teaching methods
Wayne Bishop
11/8/03
Read RE: [math-learn] Inquiry vs formal teaching methods
Paul A. Tanner III
11/8/03
Read RE: [math-learn] Inquiry vs formal teaching methods
John Clement
11/8/03
Read RE: [math-learn] Inquiry vs formal teaching methods
Wayne Bishop
11/8/03
Read RE: [math-learn] Inquiry vs formal teaching methods
John Clement
11/9/03
Read RE: [math-learn] Inquiry vs formal teaching methods
Wayne Bishop
11/3/03
Read Re: [math-learn] Inquiry vs formal teaching methods
Chris
11/6/03
[...]
LAndrews1@aol.com
11/9/03
Read Re: [math-learn] Inquiry vs formal teaching methods
Chris
11/9/03
Read Re: [math-learn] Inquiry vs formal teaching methods
Wayne Bishop
11/9/03
Read Re: [math-learn] Inquiry vs formal teaching methods
Paul A. Tanner III
11/9/03
Read RE: [math-learn] Inquiry vs formal teaching methods
John Clement
11/9/03
Read RE: [math-learn] Inquiry vs formal teaching methods
Wayne Bishop
11/9/03
Read RE: [math-learn] Inquiry vs formal teaching methods
Paul A. Tanner III
11/9/03
Read Re: [math-learn] Inquiry vs formal teaching methods
Dennis
11/9/03
Read Re: [math-learn] Inquiry vs formal teaching methods
Dennis
11/11/03
Read [math-learn] Re: Inquiry vs formal teaching methods
pamkgm7
11/11/03
Read Re: [math-learn] Re: Inquiry vs formal teaching methods
Dennis
11/11/03
Read [math-learn] Re: Inquiry vs formal teaching methods
pamkgm7
11/11/03
Read Re: [math-learn] Re: Inquiry vs formal teaching methods
Amy McNarland
11/11/03
Read Re: [math-learn] Re: Inquiry vs formal teaching methods
Ed Wall
11/12/03
Read Re: [math-learn] Re: Inquiry vs formal teaching methods
Amy McNarland
11/9/03
Read Re: [math-learn] Inquiry vs formal teaching methods
Joye Walker
11/9/03
[...]
11/10/03
Read [math-learn] Equations
Ron Ferguson
11/10/03
Read Re: [math-learn] Equations
Paul A. Tanner III
11/10/03
Read Re: [math-learn] Equations
Chris
11/11/03
Read RE: [math-learn] Equations
John Clement
11/11/03
Read Re: [math-learn] Equations
Ron Ferguson
11/11/03
Read RE: [math-learn] Equations
Paul A. Tanner III
11/11/03
Read Re: [math-learn] Equations
LnMcmullin@aol.com
11/11/03
Read Re: [math-learn] Equations
Paul A. Tanner III
11/9/03
Read Re: [math-learn] Inquiry vs formal teaching methods
Joye Walker
11/9/03
Read Re: [math-learn] Inquiry vs formal teaching methods
Ed Wall
11/9/03
Read Re: [math-learn] Inquiry vs formal teaching methods
Joye Walker
11/9/03
Read [math-learn] Plastic cubes (was Inquiry vs formal teaching methods)
Ed Wall
11/9/03
Read Re: [math-learn] Plastic cubes (was Inquiry vs formal teaching methods)
[...]
ArPeEs@aol.com
11/10/03
[...]
Read [math-learn] The implementation of pedagogical ideology (was Inquiry vs formal teaching ...)
Paul A. Tanner III
11/12/03
Read Re: [math-learn] The implementation of pedagogical ideology (was Inquiry vs formal teaching ...)
Ron Ferguson
11/12/03
Read Re: [math-learn] The implementation of pedagogical ideology (was Inquiry vs formal teaching ...)
Paul A. Tanner III
11/12/03
Read Re: [math-learn] The implementation of pedagogical ideology (was Inquiry vs formal teaching ...)
Gerald Harnett
11/12/03
Read Re: [math-learn] The implementation of pedagogical ideology (was Inquiry vs formal teaching ...)
Paul A. Tanner III
11/12/03
Read Re: [math-learn] The implementation of pedagogical ideology (was Inquiry vs formal teaching ...)
Gerald Harnett
11/13/03
[...]
11/14/03
Read RE: [math-learn] Inquiry vs formal teaching methods
Paul A. Tanner III
11/14/03
Read RE: [math-learn] Inquiry vs formal teaching methods
John Clement
11/20/03
Read Re: [math-learn] Inquiry method and motivation
Rex Boggs
11/20/03
Read Re: [math-learn] Inquiry method and motivation
Dewey Dykstra, Jr.
11/20/03
Read Re: [math-learn] Inquiry method and motivation
Paul A. Tanner III
11/20/03
Read RE: [math-learn] Inquiry method and motivation
John Clement
11/21/03
Read RE: [math-learn] Inquiry method and motivation
Paul A. Tanner III
11/22/03
Read RE: [math-learn] Inquiry method and motivation
John Clement
11/23/03
Read RE: [math-learn] Inquiry method and motivation
Paul A. Tanner III
11/23/03
Read RE: [math-learn] Inquiry method and motivation
pamkgm7
11/23/03
Read RE: [math-learn] Inquiry method and motivation
John Clement
11/23/03
Read RE: [math-learn] Inquiry method and motivation
pamkgm7
11/23/03
Read RE: [math-learn] Inquiry method and motivation
John Clement
11/23/03
Read RE: [math-learn] Inquiry method and motivation
John Clement
11/24/03
Read RE: [math-learn] Inquiry method and motivation
Paul A. Tanner III
11/24/03
Read Re: [math-learn] Inquiry method and motivation
talmanl@mscd.edu
11/24/03
Read Re: [math-learn] Inquiry method and motivation
Paul A. Tanner III
11/24/03
Read Re: [math-learn] Inquiry method and motivation
talmanl@mscd.edu
11/25/03
[...]
11/26/03
Read RE: [math-learn] Inquiry method and motivation
John Clement
11/26/03
Read Re: [math-learn] Inquiry method and motivation
talmanl@mscd.edu
11/26/03
Read Re: [math-learn] Inquiry method and motivation
Christopher Gusman
11/27/03
Read [math-learn] Pedagogy and natural ability (was Inquiry method and motivation)
Paul A. Tanner III
11/26/03
Read RE: [math-learn] Inquiry method and motivation
Paul A. Tanner III
11/26/03
Read RE: [math-learn] Inquiry method and motivation
John Clement
11/26/03
Read Re: [math-learn] Inquiry method and motivation
talmanl@mscd.edu
11/28/03
Read Re: [math-learn] Inquiry method and motivation
Zeev Wurman
11/30/03
Read RE: [math-learn] Inquiry method and motivation
John Clement
11/30/03
Read Re: [math-learn] Inquiry method and motivation
Zeev Wurman
11/30/03
Read RE: [math-learn] Inquiry method and motivation
John Clement
11/23/03
Read [math-learn] Falsifiability and real-world testing
Paul A. Tanner III
11/23/03
Read Re: [math-learn] Inquiry method and motivation
talmanl@mscd.edu
11/25/03
Read Re: [math-learn] Inquiry method and motivation
pamkgm7
11/25/03
Read Re: [math-learn] Inquiry method and motivation
Ralph A. Raimi
11/25/03