Replies: 196   Last Post: Nov 30, 2003 11:34 PM

me@talmanl1.mscd.edu

Re: [math-learn] Inquiry vs formal teaching methods

From: "Paul A. Tanner III" <uprho@yahoo.com>

> Ethical rules such as "do unto others . . ." or
> "refrain from doing unto others . . ." are not
> mathematical theorems. It's a judgement call as to how
> to implement them.

But you have given us no basis for a judgement. I ask again: What is the
difference between these two rules? Both of them seem to me to be based
purely upon what the instructor in question liked or did not like in his
or her own education. How are we to understand that one of them is
"ethical" while the other is not? Or are you simply evading the question?

--Lou Talman
Metropolitan State College of Denver

http://clem.mscd.edu/~talmanl

Date Subject Author
11/1/03
Read [math-learn] Inquiry vs formal teaching methods
John Clement
11/1/03
Read Re: [math-learn] Inquiry vs formal teaching methods
Wayne Bishop
11/1/03
Read RE: [math-learn] Inquiry vs formal teaching methods
John Clement
11/2/03
Read RE: [math-learn] Inquiry vs formal teaching methods
Wayne Bishop
11/2/03
Read RE: [math-learn] Inquiry vs formal teaching methods
John Clement
11/2/03
Read RE: [math-learn] Inquiry vs formal teaching methods
Paul A. Tanner III
11/2/03
Read RE: [math-learn] Inquiry vs formal teaching methods
John Clement
11/3/03
Read Re: [math-learn] Inquiry vs formal teaching methods
Rex Boggs
11/3/03
Read Re: [math-learn] Inquiry vs formal teaching methods
Wayne Bishop
11/3/03
Read Re: [math-learn] Inquiry vs formal teaching methods
Dewey Dykstra, Jr.
11/3/03
Read RE: [math-learn] Inquiry vs formal teaching methods
John Clement
11/2/03
Read RE: [math-learn] Inquiry vs formal teaching methods
John Clement
11/2/03
Read RE: [math-learn] Inquiry vs formal teaching methods
John Clement
11/4/03
Read RE: [math-learn] Inquiry vs formal teaching methods
Paul A. Tanner III
11/4/03
Read RE: [math-learn] Inquiry vs formal teaching methods
John Clement
11/4/03
Read RE: [math-learn] Inquiry vs formal teaching methods
Paul A. Tanner III
11/5/03
Read RE: [math-learn] Inquiry vs formal teaching methods
John Clement
11/5/03
Read RE: [math-learn] Inquiry vs formal teaching methods
Paul A. Tanner III
11/5/03
Read RE: [math-learn] Inquiry vs formal teaching methods
John Clement
11/5/03
Read RE: [math-learn] Inquiry vs formal teaching methods
Paul A. Tanner III
11/6/03
Read [math-learn] Teaching circumference and area of a circle
Rex Boggs
11/6/03
Read Re: [math-learn] Teaching circumference and area of a circle
Ed Wall
11/7/03
[...]
11/8/03
Read RE: [math-learn] Inquiry vs formal teaching methods
John Clement
11/8/03
Read RE: [math-learn] Inquiry vs formal teaching methods
Paul A. Tanner III
11/5/03
Read RE: [math-learn] Inquiry vs formal teaching methods
Dewey Dykstra, Jr.
11/3/03
Read RE: [math-learn] Inquiry vs formal teaching methods
Dewey Dykstra, Jr.
11/3/03
Read Re: [math-learn] Inquiry vs formal teaching methods
Ron Ferguson
11/8/03
Read RE: [math-learn] Inquiry vs formal teaching methods
Wayne Bishop
11/8/03
Read RE: [math-learn] Inquiry vs formal teaching methods
Paul A. Tanner III
11/8/03
Read RE: [math-learn] Inquiry vs formal teaching methods
John Clement
11/8/03
Read RE: [math-learn] Inquiry vs formal teaching methods
Wayne Bishop
11/8/03
Read RE: [math-learn] Inquiry vs formal teaching methods
John Clement
11/9/03
Read RE: [math-learn] Inquiry vs formal teaching methods
Wayne Bishop
11/3/03
Read Re: [math-learn] Inquiry vs formal teaching methods
Chris
11/6/03
[...]
LAndrews1@aol.com
11/9/03
Read Re: [math-learn] Inquiry vs formal teaching methods
Chris
11/9/03
Read Re: [math-learn] Inquiry vs formal teaching methods
Wayne Bishop
11/9/03
Read Re: [math-learn] Inquiry vs formal teaching methods
Paul A. Tanner III
11/9/03
Read RE: [math-learn] Inquiry vs formal teaching methods
John Clement
11/9/03
Read RE: [math-learn] Inquiry vs formal teaching methods
Wayne Bishop
11/9/03
Read RE: [math-learn] Inquiry vs formal teaching methods
Paul A. Tanner III
11/9/03
Read Re: [math-learn] Inquiry vs formal teaching methods
Dennis
11/9/03
Read Re: [math-learn] Inquiry vs formal teaching methods
Dennis
11/11/03
Read [math-learn] Re: Inquiry vs formal teaching methods
pamkgm7
11/11/03
Read Re: [math-learn] Re: Inquiry vs formal teaching methods
Dennis
11/11/03
Read [math-learn] Re: Inquiry vs formal teaching methods
pamkgm7
11/11/03
Read Re: [math-learn] Re: Inquiry vs formal teaching methods
Amy McNarland
11/11/03
Read Re: [math-learn] Re: Inquiry vs formal teaching methods
Ed Wall
11/12/03
Read Re: [math-learn] Re: Inquiry vs formal teaching methods
Amy McNarland
11/9/03
Read Re: [math-learn] Inquiry vs formal teaching methods
Joye Walker
11/9/03
[...]
11/10/03
Read [math-learn] Equations
Ron Ferguson
11/10/03
Read Re: [math-learn] Equations
Paul A. Tanner III
11/10/03
Read Re: [math-learn] Equations
Chris
11/11/03
Read RE: [math-learn] Equations
John Clement
11/11/03
Read Re: [math-learn] Equations
Ron Ferguson
11/11/03
Read RE: [math-learn] Equations
Paul A. Tanner III
11/11/03
Read Re: [math-learn] Equations
LnMcmullin@aol.com
11/11/03
Read Re: [math-learn] Equations
Paul A. Tanner III
11/9/03
Read Re: [math-learn] Inquiry vs formal teaching methods
Joye Walker
11/9/03
Read Re: [math-learn] Inquiry vs formal teaching methods
Ed Wall
11/9/03
Read Re: [math-learn] Inquiry vs formal teaching methods
Joye Walker
11/9/03
Read [math-learn] Plastic cubes (was Inquiry vs formal teaching methods)
Ed Wall
11/9/03
Read Re: [math-learn] Plastic cubes (was Inquiry vs formal teaching methods)
[...]
ArPeEs@aol.com
11/10/03
[...]
Read [math-learn] The implementation of pedagogical ideology (was Inquiry vs formal teaching ...)
Paul A. Tanner III
11/12/03
Read Re: [math-learn] The implementation of pedagogical ideology (was Inquiry vs formal teaching ...)
Ron Ferguson
11/12/03
Read Re: [math-learn] The implementation of pedagogical ideology (was Inquiry vs formal teaching ...)
Paul A. Tanner III
11/12/03
Read Re: [math-learn] The implementation of pedagogical ideology (was Inquiry vs formal teaching ...)
Gerald Harnett
11/12/03
Read Re: [math-learn] The implementation of pedagogical ideology (was Inquiry vs formal teaching ...)
Paul A. Tanner III
11/12/03
Read Re: [math-learn] The implementation of pedagogical ideology (was Inquiry vs formal teaching ...)
Gerald Harnett
11/13/03
[...]
11/14/03
Read RE: [math-learn] Inquiry vs formal teaching methods
Paul A. Tanner III
11/14/03
Read RE: [math-learn] Inquiry vs formal teaching methods
John Clement
11/20/03
Read Re: [math-learn] Inquiry method and motivation
Rex Boggs
11/20/03
Read Re: [math-learn] Inquiry method and motivation
Dewey Dykstra, Jr.
11/20/03
Read Re: [math-learn] Inquiry method and motivation
Paul A. Tanner III
11/20/03
Read RE: [math-learn] Inquiry method and motivation
John Clement
11/21/03
Read RE: [math-learn] Inquiry method and motivation
Paul A. Tanner III
11/22/03
Read RE: [math-learn] Inquiry method and motivation
John Clement
11/23/03
Read RE: [math-learn] Inquiry method and motivation
Paul A. Tanner III
11/23/03
Read RE: [math-learn] Inquiry method and motivation
pamkgm7
11/23/03
Read RE: [math-learn] Inquiry method and motivation
John Clement
11/23/03
Read RE: [math-learn] Inquiry method and motivation
pamkgm7
11/23/03
Read RE: [math-learn] Inquiry method and motivation
John Clement
11/23/03
Read RE: [math-learn] Inquiry method and motivation
John Clement
11/24/03
Read RE: [math-learn] Inquiry method and motivation
Paul A. Tanner III
11/24/03
Read Re: [math-learn] Inquiry method and motivation
talmanl@mscd.edu
11/24/03
Read Re: [math-learn] Inquiry method and motivation
Paul A. Tanner III
11/24/03
Read Re: [math-learn] Inquiry method and motivation
talmanl@mscd.edu
11/25/03
[...]
11/26/03
Read RE: [math-learn] Inquiry method and motivation
John Clement
11/26/03
Read Re: [math-learn] Inquiry method and motivation
talmanl@mscd.edu
11/26/03
Read Re: [math-learn] Inquiry method and motivation
Christopher Gusman
11/27/03
Read [math-learn] Pedagogy and natural ability (was Inquiry method and motivation)
Paul A. Tanner III
11/26/03
Read RE: [math-learn] Inquiry method and motivation
Paul A. Tanner III
11/26/03
Read RE: [math-learn] Inquiry method and motivation
John Clement
11/26/03
Read Re: [math-learn] Inquiry method and motivation
talmanl@mscd.edu
11/28/03
Read Re: [math-learn] Inquiry method and motivation
Zeev Wurman
11/30/03
Read RE: [math-learn] Inquiry method and motivation
John Clement
11/30/03
Read Re: [math-learn] Inquiry method and motivation
Zeev Wurman
11/30/03
Read RE: [math-learn] Inquiry method and motivation
John Clement
11/23/03
Read [math-learn] Falsifiability and real-world testing
Paul A. Tanner III
11/23/03
Read Re: [math-learn] Inquiry method and motivation
talmanl@mscd.edu
11/25/03
Read Re: [math-learn] Inquiry method and motivation
pamkgm7
11/25/03
Read Re: [math-learn] Inquiry method and motivation
Ralph A. Raimi
11/25/03