Topic: Re: [math-learn] Inquiry method and motivation
Replies: 0

Back to Topic List Back to Topic List

Paul Tanner wrote:

> Does this not raise the question "How do we know that these
> assessments actually measure what is claimed for them?"

Well, no.

> I asked this question of one of my math ed professors regarding
> authentic assessment when these assessments were claimed to have high
> validity. The question is, OK, even with high validity, how do we know
> that these assessments measure what is claimed for them?
> The answer I got was, "I don't have an answer to that."

Explain to us, Paul, the logical errors in an argument that answers the
question "Aren't you making a mistake?" by pointing out that a third
person is making the same mistake.

--Lou Talman
Department of Mathematical Sciences
Metropolitan State College of Denver