Topic: Re: http://www.inetarena.com/~pdx4d/ocn/drafts/catenary.html
Replies: 1   Last Post: Dec 3, 2000 7:25 PM

Lawrence T. Gurley

Re: http://www.inetarena.com/~pdx4d/ocn/drafts/catenary.html

I apologize to the list for the tedious detail, but has anyone else seen
similar displays when visiting this page?

At 01:52 PM 12/2/00, Kirby Urner <urner@alumni.Princeton.EDU>
wrote:
>On Sat, 2 Dec 2000 15:00:20 -0600, you wrote:
>

> >Kirby and all,
> >
> >The page is great, but, if you had dome this with LiveMath, not only would
> >the symbols appear correctly, and no code would be showing (nor needed to
> >create), the mathematics would be live and interactive on the web for
> >anyone with the free plug-in.

>Not sure what you're referring to when you say symbols appear
>correctly and/or code showing on
>http://www.inetarena.com/~pdx4d/ocn/drafts/catenary.html
>
>Is there something wrong with those symbols?

The four times I've visited this page, at least two of the lines of symbols
were overwritten: the line between "definite integral, from -1 to 1" and
"definite integral, from -2 to 2" evaluates a definite integral; the end
of this line is overwritten with the equation "g(1) = 0.881 . . .". The
line between "Derivative of hyperbolic cosine" and "Generic arc length
function" is overwritten with blue text in a sans-serif font: "equation of
semi-circle of radius R and derivative".

If I "restore" the browser (Netscape 4.76 under Win98SE) to occupy only
part of the screen, and then "maximize" to a full-screen display, the
overwriting text becomes the first two lines of the page. (The blue font
changes to Times New Roman.)

Has anyone else seen something similar visiting this page, or is it just me
(and my browser)?