From: Lillie Crowley [mailto://]
Sent: Sunday, May 27, 2001 8:24 AM
Subject: Re: It's the Community-College Life for Me

We need to not forget, though, that there is the occasional community
college student for whom this is not just a second chance at an associate or
baccalaureate degree, or even for functional literacy, but rather the second
chance to do brilliantly.

The wife of a colleague of mine defended her Ph.D. dissertation in computer
science at the University of Kentucky about a month ago. When she started at
LCC in remedial algebra quite a few years ago, she was a divorced mother of
5 with a GED (usual story--she'd become pregnant while in h.s., dropped out,
got married, etc.) She's been some years in the process, but she came to
LCC, did well, transferred to the UK, did well, got a B.S. from there, went
to graduate school. In the meantime her children all grew up, left home and
went to college, she married her calculus teacher from LCC (my colleague),

They are few and far between, but we need to keep in mind that some of our
students do indeed end up in a research track.

At 11:52 PM 5/26/01 -0400, MATH4FOBIX@AOL.COM wrote:

Jodi! You put it in a nutshell. I love my community college students. I am

not trying to make them all Einsteins but some do come out well. I think
motto of the National Association for Developmental Education (NADE) puts
very well, "Helping
Underprepared students prepare
Prepared students advance
Advanced students excell."

I have no desire to teach at the university level. These are among the
hardest working students I have ever had. University research is not for
everyone nor should it be. University research does not treat the hospital
patient, nor make the parts for jet engines yet those students need math as
much as anyone. They deserve the best because they give their all in a
classroom. If they wish it, many of these students will go on and do well
the university level for their last two years of a Bachelor's Degree. In
meantime we help those who have been away from math for a while return and
succeed. We get many of these students to excell in Math for the first time

in their lives. We help those who learn by doing rather than by listening
those who have different learning styles adapt. I always have students who

have never received above a C in math start to excell. On a department
developed final exam, they score up with those from instructors who teach
"higher levels." Those students, for many reasons, don't start out as
"university material" but end up as ready as they need to be.
It is definitely the Community College Life for Me too!

MaryLiz Pierce
GateWay Community College
Phoenix, AZ

Lillie R.F. Crowley