From: Bret Taylor
Sent: 5/27/2001 12:12 PM
Subject: Jodi's student

Probably a good thing I was out of town this weekend. I got to read all
the responses at once. If I had responded immediately I might have
caused even more consternation. :-)

Jodi, here is my story from this semester. In Florida we have a rule
that says you may take a course three times, but the third time you must
pay out of state tuition. A student of mine was taking a course for the
second time and failing. He admitted to me that he was doing zero
homework. Well, to make a long story short he picked up an application
for a waiver of out-of-state tuition. A counselor told him that his
best chance of getting the waiver was to apply on the grounds that "the
instructor didn't teach what was on the tests." The counselor helped
him write his appeal. He came to my office and apologized to me for
what was in the appeal. He told me that there was nothing personal
about it and that he thought I was great teacher. I asked him why he
wrote those things and he said he just sat down at the computer and
wrote what the counselor told him to in order to not have to pay out of
state tuition.

I sent an email to the vice-president who oversees student affairs, with
a copy to my dean. The response was, "I don't know where students get
these ideas. That is not a valid reason to waive out of state tuition."
No mention of the counselor. No asking me who the counselor was. No
comment that the counselors would be questioned and told this was
unacceptable. Did not even ask me who the counselor was.

Bret Taylor, Lake-Sumter Community College John 3:30

It matters not the subject taught,
Nor all the books on all the shelves.
What matters more, yes, most of all
Is what the teachers are themselves. John Wooden (UCLA)
* To post to the list: email *
* To unsubscribe, email the message "unsubscribe mathedcc" to *
* Archives at *