Topic: College Entrance Requirements
Replies: 3   Last Post: Jul 23, 2001 10:52 PM

RayM

Re: College Entrance Requirements

California standards
http://www.cde.ca.gov/board/pdf/math.pdf
require high school students to take algebra. California legal code
withholds some state funding from districts that do not comply with the
standards.

There are community colleges that offer beginning algebra, but you are not
likely to be admitted many of the top tier schools without it.

RayM

----------
> From: LSpahr1455@AOL.COM
> To: mathedcc@mathforum.com
> Subject: College Entrance Requirements
> Date: Friday, July 20, 2001 10:49
>
> Hello Colleagues,
>
> Please help me with some info. Do the university systems in your state

have an entrance requirement of Intermediate Algebra (or actually High
School Algebra II)? I just finished one of those "pleasant" conversations
with a parent who was ranting and raving about the university system in
North Carolina requiring high school Algebra II for admittance. He
vehemently insisted that other states (especially Michigan) did not have
this requirement, and that it was a terribly unfair and stupid rule!
> Oh yes, and for the record, he also was adamant that he is a very
successful registered architect and he has never used algebra a day in his
life!

majordomo@mathforum.com *