Date: Tue, 7 Jan 1997 11:17:32 -0600
To: lpj@cardinal.math.ucsb.edu (Loren Johnson)
From: gilbert@fireant.ma.utexas.edu (John E. Gilbert)
Subject: Re: Group Theory Text
Cc: mathedu@msri.org

Loren: in a group theory course intended primarily for juniors and
seniors
planning to become high school mathematics teachers I find that links
with
geometry, especially symmetries of frieze and wallpaper patterns as
well as
platonic solids, illustrate the ideas in a way that students can
appreciate
readily. A good text for this is

"Groups and Symmetry" by David W. Farmer

published recently by the AMS. This can be combined with a Dynamic
Geometry
software program such as Geometers SketchPad to give students
opportunities
for exploring group theory concepts.

John Gilbert.

John E. Gilbert,

Office: Math Dept, C1200
University of Texas at Austin,
AUSTIN, TX 78712.

Home: 6913 Cat Creek Run,
AUSTIN, TX 78731.

Tel: Office: (512) 471-1179
Math Office: (512) 471-7711, FAX: (512) 471-9038

Home: (512) 346-8212