>Date: Wed, 08 Jan 1997 09:27:53 +0000
>To: mathedu@msri.org
>From: Ken Houston <sk.houston@ulst.ac.uk>
>Subject: personal identification
>
>Colleagues,
>
>Could I please ask list-posters to include, at least, a note of where they
>work. I'm not yet very good at decoding e-mail addresses to get the
>institution. Also if you have a web address or the like where I can find out
>more about you, please include this as well in your signature.
>
>Perhaps David Epstein could start by telling me about msri.org?

This is an excellent suggestion, especially since we do
come from varied institutions in widely-spread places.
I was the first to be negligent. I'm Bill Thurston, Director of the
Mathematical Sciences Research Institute in Berkeley, California = MSRI,
pronounced "Emissary", and the physical locus of the domain msri.org. I'm
also a professor at UC Davis, about 70 miles away, which is where I've entered
my subscription to the list, since that is where I'll be involved in
undergraduate/graduate education. David Epstein arranged to establish
this list during a conference last month (Dec 5-6) at MSRI on the
Future of Mathematics Education at Research Universities.
Web references with considerable information are
http://www.msri.org
and
http://www.math.ucdavis.edu.

Bill Thurston Mathematical Sciences Research Institute,
wpt@msri.org 1000 Centennial Drive
Berkeley, California 94720-5070
(510)-642-0143