Replies: 4   Last Post: Apr 25, 2000 6:58 PM

Jerry Uhl

Re: [MATHEDU] Calculator (again?)

At 11:03 AM -0400 4/25/00, Ralph A. Raimi wrote:

> But back to calclulators and software: Is it really possible
>within reasonable amounts of time to use this technology to help in the
>understanding of parametrizations, in time to get to Stokes and
>divergences? I fear that multidimensional calculus is merely *hard*, or
>at least more complicated than Chapters 11 and 12 of the typical calculus
>books make out, and there is no easy way around it.
>
>++++++++++++++++++++++++++
>Our VectorCalculus&Mathematica courseware does use Mathematica to help in the
>understanding of parametrizations, in time to get to Stokes and

divergences.
Check out the courseware by going to
http://www.matheverywhere.com/mei/courseware/
-Jerry

Jerry Uhl juhl@ncsa.uiuc.edu
Professor of Mathematics, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
Member, Mathematical Sciences Education Board of National Research
Council
Calculus&Mathematica, Vector Calculus&Mathematica,
DiffEq&Mathematica, Matrices,Geometry&Mathematica, NetMath

http://www-cm.math.uiuc.edu , http://netmath.math.uiuc.edu, and
http://matheverywhere.com

"Is it life, I ask, is it even prudence,
To bore thyself and bore the students?"

. . . Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

This is an unmoderated distribution list discussing teaching and learning
of post-calculus mathematics.---David.Epstein@warwick.ac.uk

Get guidelines before posting: email majordomo@warwick.ac.uk saying
get mathedu guidelines
(Un)subscribe to mathedu(-digest)by email to majordomo@warwick.ac.uk saying: