The Math Forum

Topic: Clebsch-Gordon coefficients
Replies: 0

Back to Topic List Back to Topic List
Jim Murdock

Clebsch-Gordon coefficients

On Thu, 9 Nov 1995 16:09:30 -0500, Richard Askey wrote:

> The one class of orthogonal polynomials which Chebyshev
>found first is what we call Hahn polynomials, but also known as
>3-j symbols or Clebsch-Gordan coefficients to physicists (they must
>be transformed to make the polynomial aspect clear).

Could you give some more details about this, or at least references? I am
trying to understand various ways of looking at Clebsch-Gordon
coefficients, particularly any concrete old-fashioned ways of looking at
them, because I need (for a book I am writing) to give as simple as
possible an exposition of Richard Cushman's invariant-theory approach to
normal forms for dynamical systems. My purpose in this is not historical,
but part of the nature of the problem is that modern expositions tend to be
highly abstract (even though the Clebsch-Gordon calculations themselves are
concrete), whereas the older expositions use unfamiliar terminology. I
would appreciate any references either to the history, or to readable
expositions of the older versions of the theory.
Jim Murdock TO SPEAK is to create the opportunity
Mathematics Dept. to learn why what I said is not true.
Iowa State University
Ames Iowa 50011