Topic: Russel about Euclid
Replies: 0

Back to Topic List Back to Topic List
Antreas P. Hatzipolakis

Russel about Euclid

Ken Pledger wrote (partly):

> Second, Russell himself in his autobiography wrote about his
>excitement when he was first given a copy of Euclid, and how it
>absorbed his attention and enthusiasm. Can anyone provide the
>reference to that? It's certainly more relevant to young people's
>learning.

At the age of eleven, I began Euclid, with my brother as my tutor. This was
one of the great events of my life, as dazzling as first love. I had not
imagined there was anything so delicious in the world. From that moment
until I was thirty-eight, mathematics was my chief interest and my chief
source of happiness.
The Autobiography of Bertrand Russell.

APH