Topic: 21st Century 'Hilbert' problems
Replies: 25   Last Post: Feb 10, 1999 1:11 AM

Stephen Montgomery-Smith

Re: 21st Century 'Hilbert' problems

Somebody wrote:
> :
> :P.S. I can't believe there are _still_ some outstanding issues with the
> :Navier Stokes equations (uniqueness of solution, as another poster
> :mentioned). But as Euler said on his deathbed, when a friend asked
> :if he planned to consult God about the problem of turbulence. "No,
> :I wouldn't want to embarrass him!"
> :

OK, I sense some disbelief that this is a genuine question.

Have a look at:

Doering, Charles R.; Gibbon, J. D. Applied analysis of the Navier-Stokes
equations. Cambridge Texts in Applied Mathematics. Cambridge
University Press, Cambridge, 1995. xiv+217 pp. ISBN: 0-521-44557-4

Temam, Roger Navier-Stokes equations and nonlinear functional analysis. Second
edition. CBMS-NSF Regional Conference Series in Applied
Mathematics, 66. Society for Industrial and Applied Mathematics (SIAM),
Philadelphia, PA, 1995. xiv+141 pp. ISBN: 0-89871-340-4

Really, there is a Field's medal waiting for whoever solves this problem.

--

Stephen Montgomery-Smith stephen@math.missouri.edu
307 Math Science Building stephen@showme.missouri.edu

Phone (573) 882 4540
Fax (573) 882 1869

http://math.missouri.edu/~stephen

Date Subject Author
2/4/99
Read 21st Century 'Hilbert' problems
Si Croall
2/5/99
Read Re: 21st Century 'Hilbert' problems
Nico Benschop
2/5/99
Read Re: 21st Century 'Hilbert' problems
Nathaniel Deeth
2/5/99
Read Re: 21st Century 'Hilbert' problems
Ingrid Voigt
2/5/99
Read Re: 21st Century 'Hilbert' problems
Nathaniel Deeth
2/5/99
Read Re: 21st Century 'Hilbert' problems
Ingrid Voigt
2/5/99
Read Re: 21st Century 'Hilbert' problems
David C. Ullrich
2/6/99
Read Re: 21st Century 'Hilbert' problems
Richard Carr
2/5/99
Read Re: 21st Century 'Hilbert' problems
Tangent60
2/6/99
Read Re: 21st Century 'Hilbert' problems
Anthony Crawley
2/6/99
Read Re: 21st Century 'Hilbert' problems
Clive Tooth
2/7/99
Read Re: 21st Century 'Hilbert' problems
modern life is rubbish
2/6/99
Read Re: 21st Century 'Hilbert' problems
Richard Carr
2/6/99
Read Re: 21st Century 'Hilbert' problems
Richard Carr
2/7/99
Read Re: 21st Century 'Hilbert' problems
John R Ramsden
2/7/99
Read Re: 21st Century 'Hilbert' problems
Richard Carr
2/7/99
Read Re: 21st Century 'Hilbert' problems
Stephen Montgomery-Smith
2/5/99
Read Re: 21st Century 'Hilbert' problems
Stephen Montgomery-Smith
2/7/99
Read Re: 21st Century 'Hilbert' problems
RobXXVIII
2/7/99
Read Re: 21st Century 'Hilbert' problems
Stephen Montgomery-Smith
2/5/99
Read Re: 21st Century 'Hilbert' problems
Mark-Jason Dominus
2/6/99
Read Re: 21st Century 'Hilbert' problems
Richard Carr
2/6/99
Read Re: 21st Century 'Hilbert' problems
Stephen Montgomery-Smith
2/6/99
Read Re: 21st Century 'Hilbert' problems
xxyzz
2/6/99
Read Re: 21st Century 'Hilbert' problems
Richard Carr
2/10/99
Read Re: 21st Century 'Hilbert' problems
Gerry Myerson