Topic: Math Curriculum Revision
Replies: 1   Last Post: Feb 20, 1998 7:21 PM

Ronald A Ward

Re: Math Curriculum Revision

Just out of curiosity, why is it that so many districts feel compelled to
"recreate the wheel" when there are already many fine curricula
available? My own seven years in full time curriculum development,
related teacher education and dissemination taught me that developing a
quality curriculum takes many people a long time, even when they are
cooperating together and working full time on the project. Frankly, I
don't think a school district can do a very good job of this, especially
if it tries to do so using teachers during the summers and only part time
during the academic year. This is also one of the reasons that the
National Diffusion Network was created and operated so successfully for
so many years. Districts could review those curricula which had already
been developed, evaluated, and were proven to work. Then, they could
perhaps "adapt" one such curriculum to their district's own particular
set of circumstances. My suggestion would be to not try to create a
curriculum at all. If you wish to examine what has already been created
at the K-6 level, I would recommend that you look at CSMP/21 [the
Comprehensive School Mathematics Program/for the Twenty-First Century],
available from the Mid-Continent Regional Educational Laboratory in
Colorado. Contact person is Clare Heidema <cheidema@mcrel.org>. I'm
sure others will make recommendations regarding other programs. Best wishes.

Ron Ward/Western Washington U./Bellingham, WA 98225
ronaward@henson.cc.wwu.edu