Topic: RE: research
Replies: 2   Last Post: Oct 25, 1995 10:04 AM

Eileen Abrahamson

RE: research

Rebecca wrote:
>Seems to me that one of the things that's important is how much the
>research seems salient to teachers. That's a part of what Lou may be >talking
>about. If researchers are too specialized, they may miss things >that would
>be important questions to explore, or may do what teachers >perceive as
>pursuing the obvious. If teachers feel research doesn't say >anything to
>them,it's perhaps more a matter of interpretation than >dissemination. I have
>to say there may not need to be overlap between >researchers and teachers, but
>certainly linkage is important.

This is very definitely my concern with educational research of every kind.
Too often the questions asked are not questions that teachers in the
classroom 'need' the answers to, and the questions that teachers truly need
help with and research to support, are not asked, or they are taken into
directions that are not beneficial.

A wise educational researcher would begin their research talking with
current classroom teachers. Here they could get all the questions they
want, and also some speculation of the direction that the research would
need to take in order to benefit the educational community.

Rebecca, this is and has been my issue with educational research for a long
time. You must be in the classroom also ;-)

Eileen

Eileen Abrahamson
0191enel@informns.k12.mn.us
Edw. Neill Elemetary