Topic: Useful problems
Replies: 41   Last Post: Jul 1, 1996 10:08 AM

MCotton@aol.com

Re: Useful problems

In a message dated 96-06-17 02:24:19 EDT, rarm@db1.cc.rochester.edu (Ralph A.
Raimi) writes:

> But now if you present me with an ordinary class, average or
>below, I am at a loss. I know what I myself would do, which is to proceed
>slowly, damn the printed curriculum and only go as far as they understand
>and make sure they do understand before going on to the next thing. But
>they tell me schools don't permit this.

Much to my surprise, I found with these students, that the slower I
proceeded, the less they learned. To continue to discuss the same idea
repetitively was a waste of our time.The rote method had already failed for
them. When tests came, they might memorize just enough to pass the test, then
2 weeks later were completely baffled by a similar problem. I believe it was
better to go on to the next topic, and then go back and cover previous
material later and from a different perspective.

Marge
mcotton@aol.com

Date Subject Author
6/11/96