Topic: Saxon
Replies: 14   Last Post: Apr 27, 2001 10:36 AM

W Gary Martin

Re: Saxon

Jerry:
Is the way students want to learn necessarily the way that is best for
them? I have taught many students who say they would prefer to be told the
exact steps needed to solve each kind of problem. But this does not build
their ability to do mathematics (i.e., flexibly deal with a wide range of
problems, attack novel situations, be creative, etc.), so I choose not to
give them what they want. Some end up appreciating what they have gained
from having to struggle their way through, some never do. But, for that
matter, if given a choice more than a few might choose not to go to school
at all... g.