Topic: Re: Standards
Replies: 1   Last Post: Oct 14, 1995 4:47 PM

Chi-Tien Hsu

Re: Standards

Forwarded message:
From chsu@pppl.gov Sat Oct 14 13:30:23 1995
From: Chi-Tien Hsu <chsu@pppl.gov>
Subject: Re: Standards
To: toom@the-college.iwctx.edu (Andrei TOOM)
Date: Sat, 14 Oct 1995 13:30:20 -0400 (EDT)
Cc: chsu@pppl.gov

Andrei:

I know what you mean, but would this mislead some of the new folks here?
I thought what you really wanted to say is that the whole idea of
"real world problem" is WRONG, even if they do it correctly in the context
of real world situation.

I mean, problem by type, as long as it aims at mathematics,
is way more important. Before students can master the "well defined"
"mathematics oriented" problems by type, even a well designed "real world",
"open ended" problem can be very confusing and harmful for students'
mathematics growth, nonetheless to say those illy designed non-mathematical
so called "real world" "endlessly open" problems.

Sometimes ago some folks have brought up the issue of gender
in word problem, something like girls are not interested in foot ball.
My feeling is, as long as the problem is math centered, as a boy,
I don't care if it deals with Barbie doll or X-man, I see that in students
too. The point is, as long as it is "mathematical", and contents in it
is clearly described, question is well addressed, it is a good word problem.
Some folks said many inner city kids have not even seen a "garage". Well,
as long as you can describe to them what a shape of garage in the problem,
they can use their imagination to follow through.

Chi-Tien

> On Sat, 14 Oct 1995, David K. Pugalee wrote:
>

> > Andrei,
> > Perhaps you should clarify what aspects of the standards
> > you view as confusing.
> > David K. Pugalee

> Look for example on p.139 of `Curriculum and Evaluation Standards'.
> It describes what is called a `Real-world problem situation'.
> Actually it is a certain game. In which sense is it `real-world' ?
> I ADDRESS TO ALL WHO RECEIVE THIS MESSAGE:
> Who of you or your friends or relatives has ever played this game ?
>
> Another question about the same page:
> Some attempt of solution is dismissed in lines 5-7
> on the ground that it `has been determined to be inequitable'.
> Can you explain what the word `determined' means in this context ?
>
> Andrei Toom toom@the-college.iwctx.edu

Date Subject Author
10/14/95
Read Re: Standards