Replies: 0

Back to Topic List Back to Topic List
Eileen Abrahamson

[No Subject]

Wong Khoon Yoong wrote:
>One of the skills maths teachers need is to use computer in their lessons.
>We are planning to introduce computer into our methodology courses, ie,
>courses for pre-service teacher trainees on how to use computer in their
>maths class.
>Any suggestions or recent references to what such courses should cover? Thanks.
>With best wishes!

I just noticed this tag in another post to nctm-l, and though that perhaps
I should answer. I am an elementary teacher who has been hired at a
trainer for techers from June 1996 to June 1997. We are funded through a
grant from the State of Minnesota. We are a collaborative of three school
districts. The title of our program is Enhancing Student Learning Through
Technology.

We began the summer Instructional Technology Academy with 4 courses that
were created to 1) Increase the teachers' skill and confidence in using
technology in their instruction. And 2) Provide the teachers with the
knowledge of where students should be utilizing technology to enhance their
learning.

The four couses that we began with are:

Level I - Learning to work with windows, and the Macintosh Operating
System, Developing Word Processing Skills using the word processing
packages that the school districts have purchased, and designing two
educational activities which the teachers will use with their students that
incorporate technology.

Database and Internet - In this course the teachers are introduce to the
many varied educational resources on the Internet, and given information on
how to use them within their instruction. And, teachers are given
instruction on using database in their instruction and which curricular
areas would benefit from student use of database. Again the teachers are
expected to complete two lesson activities which they will use during the
school year that utilize technology within the curriculum they are
currently teaching.

Level II- Which integrates presentation packages such as HyperStudio and
desktop publishing into curriculum areas that are currently being taught.

and the final one is -

MultiMedia - In this course the teachers use a variety of software
application and multiple video and audio devices within the teacher's
current curriculum.

The entire focus of this grant is not to "teach technology" but to teach
the connection of various technologies to the curriculum areas and how the
utilization of technology in these areas can greatly increase the knowledge
and understanding of the students. The teachers are encouraged to use the
technology in their instruction and provide the opportunity and skills to
their students so that they can use the technologies in their learning.

One of the specific connections that we are making for elementary math
teachers is the use of spread sheet as it connects to elementary data
gathering.

We will be developing a Web Site this fall which will contain the specific
lesson plans that we - the trainers used - in the academy, and the lessons
activities that the teacher participants created. I think you may find
this to be a very interesting site. I will publish the address on nctm-l
when it is ready:-)

Eileen Abrahamson

*****"Every student is gifted, some are just presents************************
that have not yet been opened."

Eileen Abrahamson
e-mail: 0191enel@informns.k12.mn.us
Enhancing Students Learning Through Technology
Collaborative Project