Topic: Word Problems
Replies: 27   Last Post: Aug 28, 1996 3:58 PM

Howard L. Hansen

Re: Word Problems

Professor Toom:

"Estimate" in this context clearly implies connecting the discrete
points plotted with a "smooth" curve using paper and pencil--What's your
beef?
Why isn't an equation a model for the data? Seems perfectly clear.

Fanciful? What do you mean?

Boring? I think you have a point here (although perhaps you have left
out the context)--but then no more boring than finding the weight of
dehydrated potatoes!

I rather like the idea of exercise 3. Students are rarely asked to
reason from the outputs back to the input (at least that has been my
experience with many traditional texts).

H^2

--
Howard L. Hansen
Assistant Professor of Mathematics