Topic: CL # 4, Some comments
Replies: 28   Last Post: Nov 14, 1996 10:36 PM

roitman@oberon.math.ukans.edu

Re: CL # 4, Some comments

>On Mon, 11 Nov 1996, Ralph A. Raimi wrote:
>

>> On Sat, 9 Nov 1996, Tad Watanabe wrote:
>>
>> [Toom:] Here Ralph takes for granted that every mathematical question
>> has exactly one correct answer.

Etc. I'm concerned about the direction of this line of correspondence. I
don't care which questions anyone chooses to call mathematical or not, I
care about which questions belong in a mathematics classroom. We all seem
to agree, for example, that "write an equation in one variable x whose
solution is x = 2" is a worthwhile question. Why quibble about whether
this is to belong in the pot of questions labelled "mathematical"? My
concern is that by worrying unduly about how to categorize such a question
we end up convincing some people that it doesn't belong in a math
classroom, when clearly it does.

Judy Roitman | "Glad to have
Math, University of Kansas | these copies of things
Lawrence, KS 66045 | after a while."
913-864-4630 | Larry Eigner, 1927-1996

Date Subject Author
11/9/96
Read CL # 4, Some comments
Kim or Melodie Mackey
11/9/96
Read Re: CL # 4, Some comments
Ralph A. Raimi
11/9/96
Read Re: CL # 4, Some comments
Andre TOOM
11/9/96
Read Re: CL # 4, Some comments
Ralph A. Raimi
11/9/96
Read Re: CL # 4, Some comments
Tad Watanabe
11/11/96
Read Re: CL # 4, Some comments
Ralph A. Raimi
11/11/96
Read Re: CL # 4, Some comments
Tad Watanabe
11/11/96
Read Re: CL # 4, Some comments
Ralph A. Raimi
11/10/96
Read Re: CL # 4, Some comments
roitman@oberon.math.ukans.edu
11/10/96
Read Re: CL # 4, Some comments
Ralph A. Raimi
11/10/96
Read Re: CL # 4, Some comments
Andre TOOM
11/10/96
Read Re: CL # 4, Some comments
W Gary Martin
11/10/96
Read Re: CL # 4, Some comments
Ralph A. Raimi
11/10/96
Read Re: CL # 4, Some comments
Howard L. Hansen
11/11/96
Read Re: CL # 4, Some comments
Ralph A. Raimi
11/10/96
Read Re: CL # 4, Some comments
Jack Roach
11/11/96
Read Re: CL # 4, Some comments
W Gary Martin
11/11/96
Read conflict in views of mathematics
Richard W. Wilson
11/11/96
Read Re: conflict in views of mathematics
W Gary Martin
11/14/96
Read Re: conflict in views of mathematics
Richard W. Wilson
11/13/96
Read Re: conflict in views of mathematics
Ralph A. Raimi
11/11/96
Read Re: CL # 4, Some comments
Michael Paul Goldenberg