Topic: effective use of time in teaching/learning
Replies: 16   Last Post: Nov 11, 1997 9:07 AM

Howard L. Hansen

Re: effective use of time in teaching/learning

Kent,
I think it does matter in the sense that all of the block scheduling
schemes I have seen and including the one I now teach under, result in a
reduction in classroom time--e.g. Classes which meet every day for 50
minutes under an A day B day block schedule meet for 80-83 minutes every
other day. The result is about 50 minutes or one class period a week
less time for mathematics!
There are some good things about it, but on the whole I'd prefer a much
more flexible modular type scheduling--that is some days I'd like to
meet for maybe only 25-30 minutes, some days for 45-50 minutes, and of
course the 80 minutes are nice for activities, extended investigations,
etc.
I must however resist anything which reduces the already anemic amount
of time students spend in academic classrooms. Block scheduling would
be great if it were coupled with an increase in school days from 180 to
something more reasonable like 220 per year.
Just my two cents worth.

H^2

--
Howard L. Hansen