Topic: parent's messages
Replies: 65   Last Post: Aug 29, 1998 10:45 AM

Howard L. Hansen

Re: parent's messages

Whenever I think I understand Toom, like a chameleon he changes.
Suddenly he is quoting Vygotsky, Piaget, and (I believe he meant)
Seymour Papert. I wonder what they would think of the tone and content
of "Mathematically Correct" which Andre so ardently endorses? If I were
you, Professor Toom I wouldn't let those at "Mathematically Correct"
know that you espouse such radically constructivist ideas--The ideas of
the three people you have mentioned would certainly be anathema to those
who want to discredit, debunk, and stop the reforms embodied in the
Standards.

H^2

Andre TOOM wrote:

> I absolutely agree. This is what I am trying to bring home all the time:
> teenagers are normally interested in abstractions and can master them.
> I quoted Vygotsky because I know his writings better, but I am sure
> that Piaget had essentially the same opinion on this. Regretfully,
> some teachers of mathematics don't know enough mathematics to offer
> their students interesting problems. The students are frustrated and
> educators misinterpret this frustration as lack of interest in
> abstractions. Then these educators insist on using cumbersome and
> fat-fetched `real-world' problems, the students are bored still more,
> and all the situation gets into a vicious circle.

snip (quote from Powell's original message)

--
Howard L. Hansen
Southeastern Jr./Sr. High School

Date Subject Author
1/24/97
Read parent's messages
Andre TOOM
1/25/97
Read Re: parent's messages
Lou Talman
1/25/97
Read Re: parent's messages
Andre TOOM
1/25/97
Read Re: parent's messages
Tad Watanabe
1/25/97
Read Re: parent's messages
Andre TOOM
1/25/97
Read Presidential commission
ramserj@ten-nash.ten.k12.tn.us
1/25/97
Read Re: Presidential commission
Andre TOOM
1/25/97
Read Re: Presidential commission
Michael Paul Goldenberg
1/25/97
Read Re: Presidential commission
Andre TOOM
1/26/97
Read Re: Presidential commission
Michael Paul Goldenberg
1/26/97
Read Re: Presidential commission
Gary A. Wirsing
1/26/97
Read Re: Presidential commission
Gary A. Wirsing
1/26/97
Read Re: Presidential commission
Lutemann@aol.com
1/26/97
Read Re: Presidential commission
Francis M. Fennell
1/26/97
Read Re: Presidential commission
CHAPMAN@APSICC.APS.EDU
1/26/97
Read Re: parent's messages
Tad Watanabe
1/26/97
Read Re: parent's messages
Andre TOOM
1/26/97
Read Re: parent's messages
Michael Paul Goldenberg
1/26/97
Read Re: parent's messages
Tad Watanabe
1/26/97
Read Re: parent's messages
Andre TOOM
1/27/97
Read Re: parent's messages
Tad Watanabe
1/27/97
Read Re: parent's messages
Andre TOOM
1/27/97
Read Re: parent's messages
Tad Watanabe
1/27/97
Read Re: parent's messages
Andre TOOM
1/28/97
Read Re: parent's messages
Richard Fouchaux
1/28/97
Read Re: parent's messages
Andre TOOM
1/30/97
Read Re: parent's messages
Richard Fouchaux
1/30/97
Read Re: parent's messages
Andre TOOM
1/30/97
Read Re: parent's messages
Tad Watanabe
1/30/97
Read Re: parent's messages
Andre TOOM
1/28/97
Read Re: parent's messages
Tad Watanabe
1/28/97
Read Re: parent's messages
Jack Roach
1/28/97
Read Re: parent's messages
Tad Watanabe
1/28/97
Read Proofs and mathematical structure
Jack Roach
1/28/97
Read Re: Proofs and mathematical structure
Tad Watanabe
8/27/98
Read math proofs
lavalle watson
8/29/98
Read product=lcm x gcd
harry sedinger
1/29/97
Read Re: Proofs and mathematical structure
Tad Watanabe
1/29/97
Read Re: Proofs and mathematical structure
Jack Roach
1/29/97
Read Re: Proofs and mathematical structure
Ed Dickey
1/29/97
Read Re: Proofs and mathematical structure
Jack Roach
1/29/97
Read Re: Proofs and mathematical structure
Tad Watanabe
1/30/97
Read Re: Proofs and mathematical structure
Jack Roach
1/30/97
Read Re: Proofs and mathematical structure
W Gary Martin
1/29/97
Read Re: Proofs and mathematical structure
Tad Watanabe
1/28/97
Read Andre's interpretation of my words.
Judith E. Jacobs
1/28/97
Read Re: Andre's interpretation of my words.
Andre TOOM
1/28/97
Read Re: Andre's interpretation of my words.
Ed Wall
1/28/97
Read Re: Andre's interpretation of my words.
W Gary Martin
2/1/97
Read Re: parent's messages
scott powell