Topic: Re: Not in Boston
Replies: 28   Last Post: Apr 12, 1999 12:52 PM

Angie S. Eshelman

Re: Manipulatives

Peter,
There is a really good article, written by a prof here at MSU (who, BTW,
contributed to the writing of the NCTM Teaching Standards), that discusses
some caveats about manipulative use, which you might find useful:

Ball, D. L. (1992). Magical hopes: Manipulatives and the reform of
mathematics education. American Educator, 16(2), 14-18, 46-47.

I can see that you get a copy if you are unable to obtain one.
Angie
Angie S. Eshelman
116 Erickson Hall Office: (517) 353-0628
Michigan State University E-Mail: eshelma2@studente.msu.edu
East Lansing, MI 48824-1034