Topic: It's not the Standards
Replies: 3   Last Post: Feb 7, 1997 8:04 AM

Mary K. Hannigan

Re: It's not the Standards

At 7:30 AM 2/4/97, Mark & Jane Priniski wrote:

>>Why would a teacher want to teach in poor counties where the
>>teacher salaries average $10,000 less than the richer
>>counties? Why would a teacher teach where there is no money
>>for textbooks or materials? It is my opinion that these
>>questions need to be answered.
>>

>Karen ---
>
>I work in a small school in north central wisconsin, we have just under 210
>students in grades 9-12. I have had years where in an eight period day I
>taught 7 periods, seven differnt preps. On the good side, in my present
>schedule I teach an AP Calculus class to 3 students, and my larges class
>is a geometry class of 26.
>
>I've worked in small schools for the past 19 years. My first 2 years of
>teaching werein larger school. I would never go back to big. (even for
>$10,000) In my school, I know every student and they all know me. They
>know my expectations before they even get to my class. That would never
>happen in a larger school.
>
>Mark Priniski

While it's difficult, I too thoroughly enjoyed my time in a small rural
school (120 students 7-12). While it's true that money is tight, I never
lacked for anything I thought I needed. Of course, then, I didn't think I
needed much! Time was an issue (6 preps in 7 periods) but you learn to
adapt. If I were to return to public school I'd go to a small school in a
heartbeart.

Just had to second your thoughts, Mark!

Mary K. Hannigan
Austin Community College