Topic: The TIMSS
Replies: 14   Last Post: Apr 15, 1997 2:46 AM

CHAPMAN@APSICC.APS.EDU

Re: The TIMSS

----------
> From: Michael Paul Goldenberg <mikegold@umich.edu>
> To: Charles J. Masenas <u6420@btv.ibm.com>
> Cc: Math-Teach <math-teach@forum.swarthmore.edu>
> Subject: Re: The TIMSS
> Date: Monday, April 14, 1997 11:39 AM
>

> Interestingly, given the way many folks have taught mathematics, it could
> have been unnecessary to suggest which areas would have to receive LESS
> attention, since their practice has consisted of: 1) homework answers
> given; 2) homework problems reviewed/questions answered; 3) the next
> section of the textbook is transfered from the pages of the book (or the
> teacher's notes) to the chalkboard or overhead projector screen; 4)
> students are given time to do worksheets and/or to start on homework
> problems. While your mileage may vary, I think this is not an exaggerated
> portrayal of what many of us have seen, experienced, done; I suspect

based
> on hearsay that the Stigler tapes support the notion that my description
> is close to the mark in many American classrooms

Michael, if you haven't seen the Stigler tapes you have done an amazing job
of guessing what's on them. This describes to a T the U.S. geometry lesson
I saw. Prof. Stigler himself presented it at a conference I went to and he
insisted that this is a typical 8th grade mathematics lesson in our
country. (sigh) Cindy Chapman