Topic: Re:Adding fractions
Replies: 2   Last Post: Nov 26, 1999 5:21 PM

Re: Re:Adding fractions

No flames from me, Helen!! I very much appreciated your post. However, I
have taught elementary school (primary level mostly) for 25 years and have
encountered few students who were turned off to math--even when I taught
traditional rote procedures almost exclusively. Since I began teaching
math guided by the NCTM standards (about 7 years ago) I have encountered
very few who didn't LOVE math. Now, I'll admit, I'm very enthusiastic
about math and I know that comes across, but I think there are things that
happen to turn off students as they get older--hormones probably first and
foremost--but in my limited experience with middle school and high school
math it seems to me that at that level there is more tendency on the part
of teachers to believe that only a certain number of students will really
be able to learn math. What do you think? (I know there are gobs of
wonderful teachers like you who certainly don't hold with this belief, but
aren't there even more who do?? Forgive my likely prejudice on this!)
Cindy Chapman