Topic: Stopit Stopit Stopit
Replies: 33   Last Post: Jul 31, 1997 2:05 AM

W Gary Martin

Re: Stopit Stopit Stopit

At 16:42 -0400 7/23/97, David L. Hanson wrote:
> ... The idea that the extremely math capable
>student needs to learn something about math from the least math
>capable student is pure utopian poppycock.

Your response (apparently in response to a post I made) brings to mind the
old adage, "Don't confuse me with the facts; my mind is made up." I was not
quoting theory, but relaying things I have experienced. This most assuredly
is not "utopian" or "poppycock". Perhaps if you had any real rejoinder to
my statement, you could have saved us the embarassment of your name-calling
non-argument.

Further, you are apparently misrepresenting my statement, which follows:
"I have seen many cases where that proverbial 150-IQ student gains
important insights from supposedly less able students."
(a) Note that I did not say "needs to"; I do not claim to know all truth.
However, I have seen the power of different kinds of learners interacting.
The common misconception I was attempting to address is that the "able"
students don't get anything from this exchange. They very often do.
(b) Note the key word *supposedly* in "supposedly less able". The usual
meaning of "able" or "capable" usually is "does well at tests of
mathematics" which is quite circular. The important question is whether the
tests measure anything important. I have seen many students with low test
scores who had significant insights about mathematics. I have seen students
with high test scores who seemed to primarily excel at applying formulas
and had little real mathematical ability. (Please note that I am
emphatically *not* asserting that all students who score high on
standardized math tests are not "able".)

In any case, the important question seems to be how we can help all
students reach their potential, and I question how labels of this kind
("able", "capable" etc.) further our goal.

Sincerely,

W. Gary Martin

Date Subject Author
7/17/97