Topic: Barbados...more
Replies: 5   Last Post: Jul 21, 1997 6:48 PM

W Gary Martin

Re: Barbados...more

At 11:29 -0400 7/21/97, Tad Watanabe wrote:
>On Mon, 21 Jul 1997, Charles J. Masenas wrote:
>

>> The Barbados story can be found on the WEB. More content, different
>> title.
>> http://www.myrtlebeachaccess.com/news/97-5-21/barbado21.htm

In addition to the summary from the article posted by Tad Watanabe (note
that teaching methods are *not* one of the reasons the authors cite), I
found the following little gem.

Cumberbatch and Butcher say the system is not
perfect. Only about a quarter of Barbadian students get
the chance to attend two years of pre-university work
at a school such as Harrison; one in 10 get to a
university.

This raises an additional question. What is the population taking the SAT
in Barbados? Perhaps if we only looked at the scores of our top 25% (or
less) students, we would have equally remarkable scores.

Food for thought, Gary