Topic: Homework Helps Math Understanding??????????
Replies: 5   Last Post: Aug 29, 1997 9:36 AM

Richard Fouchaux

Re: Homework Helps Math Understanding??????????

kmichalo@pen.k12.va.us writes:
>Below I have copied something that appeared in the NCSM source
>book in l994. I hope Liane isn't too unhappy about it.

Thanks for those references, Karen. Perhaps Kim Mackey will reply and
elaborate on his 90-90 rule, which he mentioned to me some time ago.
Basically it means that in order to be effective, homework should be
assigned when the teacher feels 90% of the students can successfully
accomplish 90% of the work. Homework is for consolidation and
practice, not for figuring out what one "didn't get" in class.

I hope my paraphrasing did not distort Mr. Mackey's intent. In a
situation such as mine, where many parents insist on a certain minimum
of homework, it will take extra diligence on my part to live up to this
rule, I believe. I feel my teaching will benefit.

Regards,

--
Richard Fouchaux rfouchaux@edu.yorku.ca
Music & Math, Milne Valley Middle School, NYBE