Topic: Re(2): at-risk algebra students
Replies: 4   Last Post: Nov 4, 1999 5:38 PM

Richard Fouchaux

lbraden@sps.edu writes:
>Dear Kevin,
>
>Before starting, make sure that they can do pencil-and-paper arithmetic, we
>hope with understanding, but this will be a pipe dream in many cases.
>
>Start of page 1 of any good 1950's algebra book, (Weeks and Adkins *First
>Course in Algebra* would be an excellent choice) and work your way towards
>the end. (As far as I know, there are no good algebra books currently in
>print.) Give them enough drill so that the mechanical manipulations of
>algebra become mindless.
>
>This might take two years, it depends on the students, but that's OK.
>Forget the double periods; they probably hate math now and double periods
>would only make things worse.
>
>This program works. Been there, done this.
>
>Don't be afraid to fail those who do not meet your standards.
>
>Lawrence S. Braden
>lbraden@sps.edu
>St. Paul's School
>Concord, NH 03301
>(603)225-9104

I see, a sort of separate-the-wheat-from-the-chaff approach to teaching and
learning. Most of your recommendations can be found in a handout I
received in a workshop, entitled "How to Teach Kids to Hate Math". As you
noted, it seems to have worked worked well in that regard where you are
teaching.

Unfortunately, where I'm working teachers are responsible for the learning
of *all* their students, and are required to modify teaching strategies to
accommodate different learning styles. So I'm afraid your suggestions won't
work for me. Thanks for posting them--I'm looking forward to teaching next
week even more than ever.

Regards,
--
Richard Fouchaux rfouchaux@edu.yorku.ca
Music & Math, Milne Valley Middle School