Topic: Schools Cheat on Math
Replies: 13   Last Post: Dec 2, 1997 4:12 PM

Tad Watanabe

Re: Schools Cheat on Math

On Sat, 13 Sep 1997, Kim Mackey wrote:

> Now for some observations.
> 1) As illustrated in the topics covered by Japanese lower secondary
> students (7th, 8th, 9th grade US equivalents), _all_ Japanese 9th graders
> will have covered the equivalent of algebra and geometry before upper
> secondary school in a fairly traditional, yet rigorous, manner.

Moreover, they do not offer separate 'algebra' and 'geometry' classes.
It is interesting that we seem to be stuck on this idea of offering
'algebra' and/or 'geometry' courses. I believe we do students disservice
when we compartmentalize mathematics.

Tad Watanabe
Towson University
Towson, Maryland