Topic: Re: graphing calculators
Replies: 0

Back to Topic List Back to Topic List
MCotton@aol.com

Re: graphing calculators

In a message dated 95-06-29 08:48:19 EDT, Kent wrote:

>I happen to believe that graphing calculators are the greatest invention
>since, well, the scientific calculator. However, I noticed a disturbing

trend
>at the AP seminar I attended this year in New Orleans. When looking at
>samples of actual students answers to the free response section, I noticed
>that not one of the students could sketch a graph--they all plotted eight to
>ten points and connected the dots. These were routine functions like y =
>(1-x)^0.5.
>
>I think that the ability to analyze the behavior of functions is critical.
>How can you even use a graphing calculator if you don't have some idea of
>what to expect?
>
>Any comments?
>
>Kent

I think graphing calculators are great and I have learned alot from fooling
around with them - but too much of a good thing can be deadly. I believe that
calculators are over-used in the entire school system and that students would
be better mathmeticians if they had never seen a calculator.

If you understand math, you can quickly figure out how to manipulate a
calculator. Unfortunately many of our students learn to manipulate a
particular calculator and never learn the concepts.

marge