Topic: RE: RE:Math Prefixes
Replies: 5   Last Post: Oct 26, 1995 5:42 PM

Ben Sultenfuss

Re: Graphing Calculators

Sheila,

At Stephen F. Austin State University, a "better" university:

The TI-82 Graphing Calculator is required in all College Algebra classes.
A graphing calculator is required/strongly encouraged/permitted in ALL
mathematics courses. Calculus I, II, III have technology (graphing calculator
or computer lab) incorporated. Other upper-level courses also incorporate
technology where it is appropriate.

Ben Sultenfuss
Ben Sultenfuss
PO Box 13040, Stephen F. Austin State University
1936 North Street
Nacogdoches, Texas 75962-3040
OFFICE: (409) 468-1547 HOME: (409) 560-5508 FAX: (409) 468-1669
INTERNET: F_SULTENFU@titan.sfasu.edu or BSULTENFUSS@SFASU.EDU

----------YOUR MESSAGE------------------------YOUR MESSAGE--------------
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 1995 21:53:19 -0500 (CDT)
From: Sheila Cunningham <sheilac@tenet.edu>
Subject: Graphing Calculators

I would like to do an informal survey of "university folks" out there
about the use of graphing calculators. In my district we have an ongoing
"discussion" about the use of graphing calculators in upper level
mathematics (Alg. II - up). It seems that some of th old guard ar
einsistent that we are doing students a disservice because professors at
the "better" universities do not allow graphing calculators in their
classes. I have tried to share with them many opportunities to see the
value of teh calculator for mathematical investigation and discovery but
a few still want to hear from "someone outside the district waht a "real"
advanced mathematics curruculum should look like."

I would appreciate any comments and would be willing to share compiled
information.

Thanks in advance, Sheila