Topic: Applications of Integral Calculus
Replies: 4   Last Post: Feb 25, 1998 1:48 PM

by way of Eric Sasson

re: Applications of Integral Calculus

A reference I have found useful is the Springer-Verlag book, Introduction to Mathematics for Life Scientists by E. Batschelet. My edition dates to 1974. I have no background in life sciences
(freshman bio. sci.) but am frequently assigned a Calculus for Econ., Bio. & Behav. Sci. course. There is still very little use of the definite integral outside the obvious prob. dist. and exp.
growth areas.

I just looked at the page of alumni notes in the newsletter from our Economics Dept. (we don't have a school of business.) One entire group of recent graduates responded to the department's alumni
evaluation request with "Take as much mathematics as possible while you are an undergraduate!"

Dick Pilgrim
----------
* Date: Mon, 23 Feb 1998 05:49:42 +1100
* From: Rex Boggs <rex@rocknet.net.au>
* Subject: Applications of Integral Calculus
*
* Some time ago I sent an email to the ap-calc list asking if anyone had
* some nice real-world applications of integral calculus, outside those of
* the usual physics and engineering spheres. Maybe I wasn't clear that I
* would have been happy with just a general statement, eg 'Economists use
* integration to .....' (though an example that I could actually give to
* my students would be even better) as I didn't get a single reply.
*
* My main purpose was to let the students know that integration has
* application in a variety of professions, and not just physics and
* engineering. Unfortunately my own supply of examples is in short
* supply.
*
* Any help in this matter would be appreciated. I am happy to compile a
* list of applications and summarise them for the list.
*
* Cheers
*
* Rex