Topic: New take on TIMSS
Replies: 2   Last Post: Mar 24, 1998 4:13 PM

by way of Eric Sasson

re: New take on TIMSS

I attended a presentation by William Schmidt, Executive Director, US National center for Education Statistics on TIMSS 12th grade report. He did not specify the ages of the students, but the
executive summary states "The information in this report is about students who were assessed at the end of twelfth grade in the United States and at the end of secondary education in other
countries." It also goes on to state that "..., our general population is not being compared to more select groups in other countries." A more complete summary can be downloaded in PDF format from

Dick Pilgrim

* Date: Mon, 23 Mar 98 16:47:21 GMT
* From: "Domenico Rosa" <rosa@teikyopost.edu>
* Subject: New take on TIMSS
*
* The March 23, 1998 issue of The Hartford Courant contains an op-ed page
* article by Gerald W. Bracey ["American students do just fine vs. foreign
* students", p. A9]. The following is an excerpt.
*
* Here's what's really going on: The TIMSS 12th-grade report
* is garbage.
* Just take a look at the "kids" that got tested. Each country
* was allowed to decide for itself how to define "advanced students."
* The result: The TIMSS kids tested in Iceland were the same age as
* American college seniors. Those in Germany, Norway, Italy, Austria,
* Sweden and Switzerland were closer in age -- and in some cases,
* years of schooling -- to our college sophomores. TIMSS, however,
* compared them to American 12th-graders. This is ridiculous.
*
* The Editor's Note states: Gerald W. Bracey is author of the annual "Bracey
* report on the condition of public education." He wrote this article for The
* American Prospect Syndicate, an op-ed service.
* Are Bracey's claims true? Does the apples and oranges comparison apply only
* to "advanced students"?
* In my opinion, the results of surveys and tests are almost useless in
* examining the current problems in U.S. mathematics education. A much better
* handle can be obtained by comparing our current junk books and teaching
* methods with those of foreign countries and those of our pre-Sputnik era.
*
* Dom Rosa