Topic: Re: Symbol name
Replies: 3   Last Post: May 24, 1996 12:05 PM

Susan L. Addington

long division

I had a discussion about teaching long division recently
with someone who has thought long and hard about
primary-level mathematics. She thought that teaching "short division"
by 1-digit numbers would serve most of the purposes that teaching
long division does. Short division is similar to long division,
except that you don't write all that stuff under the gozinta sign part,
and rely more on mental arithmetic and an understanding of
place value (number sense!)
The method can be souped up to do 2-digit divisors.

It seems to me that one of the main objections to long
division is the excessive attention that must be paid
to getting the steps of the procedure right when the divisor has
several digits. Kids and teachers get so obsessed with
the algorithm that all the ideas go out the window.

I am very fond of long division, or at least several
important mathematical ideas that it leads to:
remainder (modular) arithmetic, infinite sequences (nonterminating
decimals), and division of polynomials, for example.
And most calculators won't do these things; have you
tried to buy a fraction calculator at the drug store, or even at K-Mart?
Most people own a calculator, but it's the plain 4-function kind.
Susan Addington
Academic year 1995-6: The rest of the time:
addingto@geom.umn.edu
The Geometry Center Math Department
1300 South 2nd St., Suite 500 California State University
Minneapolis, MN 55454 San Bernardino, CA 92407
(612) 624-5058
fax: (612) 626-7131
WWW at Geometry Center: http://www.geom.umn.edu/~addingto/
***** NEW MATH GAME! ******
Check my Web pages for The Number Bracelets Game.