Topic: Math Wars in The Hartford Courant
Replies: 71   Last Post: Dec 13, 1999 8:39 AM

Joan Reinthaler

Re: algorithm

On Thu, 2 Dec 1999, Tad Watanabe wrote:

> Would efficiency depends on problems?
>
> Tad Watanabe
> Towson University
> Towson, Maryland

Sure, but efficiency (problem-dependent or not) still can be a factor that
might make one algorithm better than another for the same job. Look at
algorithms for finding minimum spanning trees.

Joan Reinthaler
Sidwell Friends School
> Joan Reinthaler wrote:
> >
> > On 2 Dec 1999, russ wrote:
> >

> > > What makes one algorithm better than another, if they both follow a
> > > logical sequence of steps and have an equivalent result?
> > >

> > efficiency?
> >
> > Joan Reinthaler
> > Sidwell. Friends School

> --
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> Tad Watanabe
> Associate Professor of Mathematics &
> Associate Director of the Center for Science
> and Mathematics Education
> Towson University
> Towson, Maryland
>
> Please check our senior level position in mathematics
> education at
> http://www.towson.edu/math/Position2.html
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Date Subject Author
11/29/99
Read Math Wars in The Hartford Courant
Domenico Rosa
11/30/99
Read Re: Math Wars in The Hartford Courant
Michael Paul Goldenberg
11/30/99
Read Re: Math Wars in The Hartford Courant
Greg Goodknight
12/1/99
Read How to respond to the open letter?
William McCallum
12/2/99
Read Re: How to respond to the open letter?
Greg Goodknight
12/1/99
Read math wars, an analogy
russ
12/1/99
Read Re: math wars, an analogy
Gerald Von Korff
12/2/99
Read Re: math wars, an analogy
Derrel Fincher
12/2/99
Read More comments
russ
12/1/99
Read Re: math wars, an analogy
Michael Paul Goldenberg
12/2/99
Read Re: math wars, an analogy
CJ Masenas
12/2/99
Read Re: math wars, an analogy
Michael Paul Goldenberg
12/2/99
Read Re: math wars, an analogy
CJ Masenas
12/2/99
Read Re: math wars, an analogy
Michael Paul Goldenberg
12/2/99
Read algorithm
russ
12/2/99
Read Re: algorithm
Joan Reinthaler
12/2/99
Read Re: algorithm
Tad Watanabe
12/2/99
Read Re: algorithm
Joan Reinthaler
12/2/99
Read Re: algorithm
Tad Watanabe
12/2/99
Read Re: algorithm
David and Gail Englert
12/2/99
Read Re: algorithm
Joshua Zucker
12/3/99
Read Re: algorithm
CJ Masenas
12/3/99
Read Re: algorithm
CHi-Tien Hsu
12/3/99
Read Re: algorithm
Derrel Fincher
12/3/99
Read Re: math wars, an analogy
Derrel Fincher
12/3/99
Read Re: math wars, an analogy
CJ Masenas
12/3/99
Read Re: math wars, an analogy
Tad Watanabe
12/3/99
Read Re: math wars, an analogy
rex@rocknet.net.au
12/3/99
Read Standard algorithm (was math wars)
CJ Masenas
12/4/99
Read Re: Standard algorithm (was math wars)
me@talmanl1.mscd.edu
12/4/99
Read Re: Standard algorithm (was math wars)
rex@rocknet.net.au
12/4/99
Read Re: Standard algorithm (was math wars)
Tad Watanabe
12/4/99
Read Re: Standard algorithm (was math wars)
Howard L. Hansen
12/4/99
Read Re: Standard algorithm
CJ Masenas
12/5/99
Read Re: Standard algorithm
Ed Wall
12/4/99
Read Re: Standard algorithm (was math wars)
CHi-Tien Hsu
12/5/99
Read Re: Standard algorithm (was math wars)
Michael Paul Goldenberg
12/4/99
Read Re: Standard algorithm
CJ Masenas
12/5/99
Read Re: Standard algorithm
Ed Wall
12/5/99
Read Re: Standard algorithm
Derrel Fincher
12/5/99
Read Re: Standard algorithm
Ralph A. Raimi
12/5/99
Read Re: Standard algorithm
Michael Paul Goldenberg
12/6/99
Read re: standard algorithm
Walter Schenk
12/6/99
Read Re: standard algorithm
Tad Watanabe
12/6/99
Read re: standard algorithm
Michael Paul Goldenberg
12/6/99
Read Re: Standard algorithm
rex@rocknet.net.au
12/6/99
Read Re: Standard algorithm
Ralph A. Raimi
12/6/99
Read Re: Standard algorithm
Joshua Zucker
12/7/99
Read Re: Standard algorithm
Ralph A. Raimi
12/8/99
Read Re: Abacii
rex@rocknet.net.au
12/10/99
Read Re: Abacii
Ralph A. Raimi
12/10/99
Read Re: Abacii
Tad Watanabe
12/10/99
Read Abacii
Walter Schenk
12/5/99
Read Re: Standard algorithm
Michael Paul Goldenberg
12/6/99
Read Re: Stanard algorithm
russ
12/5/99
Read Re: Standard algorithm
Tad Watanabe
12/4/99
Read Re: Standard algorithm (was math wars)
Ralph A. Raimi
12/4/99
Read Re: Standard algorithm (was math wars)
me@talmanl1.mscd.edu
12/4/99
Read Re: Standard algorithm (was math wars)
Ralph A. Raimi
12/6/99
Read Re: Standard algorithm (was math wars)
Nicole Smith
12/8/99
Read Re: Standard algorithm (was math wars)
me@talmanl1.mscd.edu
12/11/99
Read Re: Standard algorithm (was math wars)
Ralph A. Raimi
12/12/99
Read Re: Standard algorithm (was math wars)
Tad Watanabe
12/12/99
Read Re: Standard algorithm (was math wars)
Ralph A. Raimi
12/13/99
Read Re: Standard algorithm (was math wars)
Tad Watanabe
12/3/99
Read Re: math wars, an analogy
Guy Brandenburg