Topic: Re: Manipulatives in Math
Replies: 0

Back to Topic List Back to Topic List
roitman@oberon.math.ukans.edu

Re: Manipulatives in Math

Eileen Abrahamson writes:

> * Is there truly a teaching technique, employing
>manipulatives, that could be destructive to learning in math?
> * In otherwords could manipulatives be "educational poison"
>in the wrong hands?

I have no serious study, but just my mathematician's instinct, which also
seems to be the teacher's instinct of many people on this list --
manipulatives are for creating metaphors, analogies, models.
Manipulative-based algorithms are not the way to go.

But some folks may be able to persuade me otherwise. I'll be interested in
the responses.

Cheers.

Judy Roitman, Mathematics Department
Univ. of Kansas, Lawrence, KS 66049