Topic: infinity
Replies: 1   Last Post: Apr 17, 1995 11:53 PM

Angie S. Eshelman

Re: infinity

I was thinking that perhaps the number line would help make a nice
illustration of the fact that there are different sizes of infinity. You
could explore the natural numbers, the whole numbers, the
integers--positive, negative, both, even positive, all evens, etc.--and on
and on.

A "parallel" in geometry :) is the length of a line vs. a ray. Both are
infinite but of different sizes. And so forth. These seem accessible to
students of practically any age.

Just my two cents' worth...

P.S. Let us know what you *do* end up doing!

Angie S. Eshelman
116 Erickson Hall Office: (517) 353-0628
Michigan State University E-Mail: eshelma2@studente.msu.edu
East Lansing, MI 48824-1034

At 12:27 PM 4/17/95, Jill A. Dumesnil wrote:
>I'm an Assistant Professor of Mathematics who has been asked to
>prepare 45 minutes to an hour of "meaningful enrichment activity" for
>gifted and talent fifth graders for this friday. The short notice
>and my inexperience with elementary-aged children has me a bit
>anxious. All of my experience has been teaching college mathematics.
>I'm thinking of doing something basic on the concept of infinity and
>the different "sizes" of infinity. It's been my (extremely limited)
>experience that it's "easy" to convince children that there are
>infinitely many real numbers between 0 and 1 by considering the
>unitary fractions (with numerator 1). They quickly see that there
>are infinitely many of these and "many more" numbers than these
>between 0 and 1. Does anyone have any ideas for activities or
>materials that I could use? I appreciate your help.
>Jill A. Dumesnil
>Stephen F. Austin State Univ.
>Dept. of Mathematics and Statistics
>Nacogdoches, TX 75962-3040