Topic: Re: The missing dollar problem
Replies: 8   Last Post: Apr 20, 1995 1:21 AM

Ronald A Ward

Re: The missing dollar problem

Here is a version of the problem as stated in "Mathematics for Elementary
Teachers," by Musser and Burger [an excellent source of interesting
problems, by the way]:

"Three business women traveling together stopped at a motel to get
a room for the night. They were charged $30 for the room and agreed to
split the cost equally. The manager later realized that he had
overcharged them by $5. He gave the refund to his son to deliver to the
women. This smart son, realizing it would be difficult to split $5
equally, gave the women $3 and kept $2 for himself. Thus it cost each
woman $9 for the room. Therefore, they spent $27 for the room plus the
$2 'tip.' What happened to the other dollar?"

Those of us going to the Boston meetings would love to find this
cheap motel!!

Ron Ward/Western Washington U/Bellingham, WA 98225
ronaward@henson.cc.wwu.edu