Topic: Re: where's the math?
Replies: 1   Last Post: Apr 21, 1995 9:26 PM

Dr. Susan Addington

Re: where's the math?

Ted! Lighten up! Just because *you* don't know a connection
between the Sierpinski Triangle and Pascal's triangle doesn't mean
there isn't one.

Here's a homework problem for you:

Write out a large section of Pascal's triangle.
Pick a prime (say, 7).
Highlight all the entries of Pascal's triangle that are
divisible by 7.
Find a pattern.
Explain why it happens.
What would you get if you used a really big section of P's triangle,
say, 100 rows or more?
What would happen if you used *all* of Pascal's triangle?

p.s. Pascal's triangle was known to the Chinese many centuries
before.

p.p.s. Last spring I was working with a class of 6th graders
who had just been studying ancient Greece in literature and
social studies and art. I decided to introduce the Pythagorean
theorem informally, and I thought they would be intrigued
to see Phythagoras' name written in Greek. They pracitcally
jumped out of their chairs with excitement: they could
read it! So, yes, it does sometimes help to discuss
Greek drama.

Susan Addington (addington@gallium.csusb.edu)
Math Department, California State University
San Bernardino, CA 92407
World Wide Web: http://www.math.csusb.edu/