Topic: Request - Good Software for K-8
Replies: 1   Last Post: Apr 27, 1995 12:43 AM

Dr. Susan Addington

Re: Request - Good Software for K-8

Suitable for middle school; all in the geometry vein.
All available for Macintoshes.

1. KaleidoTile (for Mac, with or without FPU, also a PowerPC version)
Creates tessellations of the plane, the sphere, or the hyperbolic
plane (!) from triangles. You can spin the resulting object.
You can also continuously change from, say, a dodecahedron to
an icosahedron.
from The Geometry Center in Minneapolis
FREE! But you have to ftp it yourself--they don't do mail order.
Ask an experienced internet type to help you if you
haven't done anonymous ftp.
ftp geom.umn.edu
cd /pub/software
2. Kali (available soon; the last I heard, it was in a beta version)
Allows you to draw symmetric patterns, including tessellations,
for all of the frieze and wallpaper types.
also from the Geometry Center, same info as above.
3. Escher Sketch. Similar to Kali, but costs about $40
from Intellimation, a software company in Santa Barbara, CA
It also tends to crash the system when you change the symmetry
type too many times.
4. TesselMania.
Similar to Kali, but does only tessellations. Lots of color,
and goo-goo eyes so you can turn your tessellations into cute
creatures. You CAN`T make any of the symmetry types that
have reflections--a terrible omission, in my opinion (snooty
mathematician). There are good demos that develop the tessellation
piece by piece. Kids love this package, adults too.
from MECC in Minnesota, also from Key Curriculum Press in
Berkeley, CA; costs about $80.

I can look up the addresses if you really want.

Susan Addington (addington@gallium.csusb.edu)
Math Department, California State University
San Bernardino, CA 92407
World Wide Web: http://www.math.csusb.edu/