Topic: Re: Private Reply
Replies: 0

Back to Topic List Back to Topic List
Nancy Garman

Re: Private Reply

>Eileen wrote:
>>>As a fourth grade teacher I also permitted students to figure out the
>"decimal name" for various fractions. An interesting side effect to this
>was that students performed this operation so frequently that by the end of
>the year they could tell you pretty accurately the "fraction name" for a
>decimal.>>
>
>Thank you for sharing this with us. However, there is something which is
>not totally clear to me. Have they already known very well the basic concept
>and algorithm behind it? Is the role of calculator in this rare example
>just to save their time on performing the operation, so they can work on
>so many probelms that they got the number sense? If yes, I will totally agree
>with you about the benefit. Technically, how to do control in a class
>and make sure everyone has mastered it already? or you only let students
>who've already mastered it to try it on calculator? Again, I still think
>this activity can be better planned and controlled in a computer lab with
>well written software. This will also make it much easier for teachers.
>
>Chi-Tien

As a public school teacher - my comment is - what computer lab? My
building has 800 students and a total of 7 Macs and a collection of Lazers
and Apple II. I'm fortunate enough to be the only teacher who has a Mac in
the classroom all the time. I think I'd be safe in assuming that maybe
half of the public school in the U>S> have computer labs - and those that
do are probably pretty tightly scheduled.

Nancy