Topic: HS Course sequencing
Replies: 9   Last Post: Apr 12, 1996 4:40 PM

GoElf@aol.com

Re: HS Course sequencing

On Sat, Apr 6, 1996 2:42 PM EST joanr@umd5.umd.edu wrote:

I'd be curious to know why you feel its so important for every kid to
take calculus in high school. It seems to me that a kid who comes to
his/her first calculus course in college with a strong algebra background
is in a lot better shape than one who struggled through a year of high
school calculus because of weak algebra skills and understanding.
Joan Reinthaler

On Sat, 6 Apr 1996 GoElf@aol.com wrote:

> ...stuff clipped...

> Although there are aspects of this system that are not ideal, it's seems to
> work the best for us. We would someday like to revise it so everyone takes
> FST and can still have time in their schedule for calculus.
>

> regards,
> goelf@aol.com (Doug Salomon)

I don't feel it's important for everyone to take calculus in high school.
Sorry if you read my comments that way. What I wanted to say was, I'd like to
find a way for those students who are willing and able to take calculus, to
also take the FST class. I agree with your second sentence.

regards,
goelf@aol.com (Doug Salomon)